Women’s health physical therapy is a specialized area that combines a dedication to helping women whose daily life is affected by pelvic dysfunction with a high level of expertise in treating musculoskeletal issues. This is accomplished through compassionate providers who are trained in how to apply physical therapy treatment techniques, such as manual therapy and general exercise, to the pelvic floor and surrounding structures. Treatment by a Women’s Health Physical Therapist at Physical Therapy Central can reduce pain, prevent surgery, and eliminate the need for medications.
Symptoms Treatable by Women’s Health Physical Therapy
- Difficulty with normal activities such as, sitting, rising from a chair, standing or walking
- Difficulty with recreational activities
- Pain in the groin, buttock, low back, hip, sacroiliac or abdominals
- Painful intercourse
- Back pain during pregnancy
- Leaking urine during exercise or laughter
What sort of issues can a women’s health / pelvic health PT treat?
- Stress or urge incontinence
- Painful intercourse
- Pelvic pain
- Sacroiliac dysfunction
- Pelvic organ prolapse
Pregnancy and Postpartum Issues
- Low back, hip, and neck pain
- Tearing of abdominal muscles and fascia associated with pregnancy (diastasis recti)
- Painful scarring from a C-section or episiotomy
- Poor bladder control or painful intercourse after a normal healing period
Common Women’s Health Physical Therapy Interventions
- Gentle exercise
- Stretching and strengthening
- Education on proper posture
- Fitting of back supports or hand splints
- Specific exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor
- Soft tissue therapy
Feedback from patients and referring doctors
“After experiencing abnormal and unexplained pelvic pain for months following a hysterectomy, my doctor recommended I see a physical therapist. Liz was wonderful! She listened to me and provided the specialized care I needed to heal and get my life back again. After a few weeks, I was able to resume normal activity and am feeling strong and whole again.” – Kim M., 47, Patient
“Pelvic floor physical therapy has revolutionized pain control for my patients.” – Dr. Lisa Waterman, D.O., P.C., Women’s Healthcare of Norman
What to expect at your first appointment
A specialized physical therapist will sit down with you, one-on-one, and discuss what’s going on, your medical history, and overall lifestyle. We are trained to treat all ranges of pelvic floor dysfunction and know how personal and intimate this is. We will evaluate your posture, hips, back, and pelvic floor to determine the best plan for YOU to get you where you want to be.
A typical initial evaluation also includes:
- Review of bowel and bladder diary
- Internal examination of muscle tone and scarring
- Assessment of pelvic floor strength, coordination, and endurance
Patients will leave with a personalized treatment plan and the confidence that their physical therapist will work alongside them to help reach their goals and improve their pelvic health.
Women’s Health Physical Therapy Locations
Come see one of our expert therapists for your women’s health physical therapy needs. We have convenient locations throughout Oklahoma, including Norman, Oklahoma City, Kingfisher, Lindsay, and many more cities near you.